My Volvo starts up but then dies.?

Volvo model vehicle information

Postby qiang81 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I have a 94 Volvo 940. The check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago. Nothing seemed wrong though until I took a 3 hour drive with it. The car died when I was at a red light towards the end of my trip. Sometimes it will start with no problem but usually it will idle for a few seconds and then die. If I am quick enough to put it into drive and accelorate, it will work fine and won't die even when I have to stop at a red light. I noticed the RPM needle will jump around for a second before dying and you can hear the engine trying to keep turning before it dies. And like I said if you hit the gas quickly it will "fix" itself and be fine.. Curious what this might be and how expensive of a repair am I looking at?
qiang81

Postby sanborn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:25 pm

There are quite a few things that can cause the problem you are experiencing. It could be anything from a clogging fuel filter, bad oxygen sensors, to an intake leak. I would suggest that you purchase or rent a scan tool from a local parts house or take it to a garage that has an even better scan tool. Either can help to identify the problem. Many parts stores offer to scan it for free (AutoZone, Pep Boys, et. al.).
I would think that it may be likely to be something fairly inexpensive (though that certainly may not be the case). Hopefully, a good tune up might even fix the problem. If the check engine light was flashing, it may have been telling you that your car was misfiring and it could be a matter of a faulty ignition coil, spark plugs, or ignition wires. I do suggest the scan and perhaps a fuel pressure test to get you started on diagnosis.
sanborn

Return to Volvo