Brake pads 3mm left,Brake rotors get damage?

Volvo model vehicle information

Postby wessley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 am

My XC90 , while the car did oil change service (51,000 miles).The Service adviser toll me all 4 wheel brake pads about 3mm left, recommend replace all 4, we replaced all. but he has another strong recommend to replace the front brake rotors at that time, because the rotors almost gone, I don't understand, why the brake pads still have 3mm, the rotors get damage. However SAFE always important, of course, I need to replaced, but that's never happen on other Volvo I had owned.
I hope someone can explain about this case. Thank you.
wessley

Postby randon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 am

They're probably trying to up-sell you, make a bit of money on parts.
Brakes are a fairly simple job. You should consider going to a small shop and have them cut the rotors instead of replacing.
randon

Postby garion60 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:46 am

The life time pads have metal in them and ware down the rotors. Never get life time pads. Get the softest pads you can. My wife's car only had 40,000 miles on it and when washing it one day I seen a 1/4 in lip on the out side of the rotor where the pads had wore it down, Cheep steal for rotors and life time pads. This is some thing you can do you self, changing rotors & pads, The are lots of Forums out there to help you along . Now days they don't turn rotors , resurface them. New rotors for my wife's car were $25.00 each,and pads $20.00. I
garion60

Postby cinneididh25 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 am

Newer cars have very thin rotors on them. You can only cut it once. If you don't cut the rotor, during braking the car will pulsate due to uneven rotor wear. As for replacing, you have to check the rotors by using a caliper. If it within the specs, don't replace-it might need cutting but not required. I guess the service department doesn't have a rotor turning machine or manufacturer requires it to be replaced. you can do it yourself and save a lot of money.
cinneididh25

Postby kendal » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 am

if the pads are riveted, you are getting very close to doing damage. if they are the bonded type, then you still have some time but not a great deal.
kendal

Return to Volvo