When to replace my mazda protege Timing belt?

Mazda model vehicle information

Postby clyfford » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 pm

I have a 2003 mazda protege 5 with 85,438 miles on it. When should i replace the timing belt. Also, every now and then theres a squeaky noise coming from the engine when i start it. What can this be. It seems to squeak for like 20-30 seconds and then goes back to normal. Thank you in advance
clyfford

Postby blayney » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:51 pm

the timing belt should be replaced every 60-70k miles, because overtime they will stretch and snap, and throw off the timing of your car. the squeaking your hearing is most likely your belts,you may want to replace them soon as they are probably starting to crack and become brittle.
blayney

Postby parlan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:09 am

Recommended mileage to change your particular belt is at 105,000 miles.
You can double check that at this site...

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=428-1466_web.pdf&folder=brochure
parlan

Postby ezequiel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:15 am

At a minimum, service all belts based on manufacturer's recommendations listed in the vehicle's owner's manual.

Different makes and models of cars have vastly different service intervals when it comes to timing belt replacement fwiw. A family member of mine has a Daewoo Lanos that requires a timing belt change every 60Kmi. according to the owner's manual and I've had other cars that don't require a change until 120K mi.

As for the other squeaking sound, I'd guess your serpentine belt is due to be replaced very soon regardless of the recommended service interval. Often when you hear a squealing sound for 20-30 seconds right after startup it signals a serpentine belt on its last legs.
ezequiel

Return to Mazda