Help! Mazda Protege - P0171?

Mazda model vehicle information

Postby cornall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Hello,

I currently own a '02 Mazda Protege ES w/ the 2.0 and 137,000 miles. My car has an issue in first gear where it's sluggish and skips back and forth and then only sluggish for a split second in second gear then fine throughout the rest of the gears. My mileage still seems to be ok and idle seems alright but it does seem to fall on it's face often when the electric fan maybe is kicking in?

Now I took the car into a mechanic last week and he thought that it maybe my flywheel needs to be resurfaced. Well, I drove the car much more than usual today with a lot of stop and go driving and it threw a P0171 engine code. The code on obd-codes.com points to a faulty MAF sensor.

My question is, what is causing my problems? Will the repair of the P0171 code fix my mechanical issue or does my car have a second injury? If these are not related, what is the common cause of the P0171 engine code on the Protege? Where is the MAF sensor located if equiped and how is it properly cleaned with brake cleaner, is there any common vacuum leaks, are the intake gaskets common to fail or any 02 sensors I should suspect?

-Thanks in adavnce
cornall

Postby kannon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Hello,

I currently own a '02 Mazda Protege ES w/ the 2.0 and 137,000 miles. My car has an issue in first gear where it's sluggish and skips back and forth and then only sluggish for a split second in second gear then fine throughout the rest of the gears. My mileage still seems to be ok and idle seems alright but it does seem to fall on it's face often when the electric fan maybe is kicking in?

Now I took the car into a mechanic last week and he thought that it maybe my flywheel needs to be resurfaced. Well, I drove the car much more than usual today with a lot of stop and go driving and it threw a P0171 engine code. The code on obd-codes.com points to a faulty MAF sensor.

My question is, what is causing my problems? Will the repair of the P0171 code fix my mechanical issue or does my car have a second injury? If these are not related, what is the common cause of the P0171 engine code on the Protege? Where is the MAF sensor located if equiped and how is it properly cleaned with brake cleaner, is there any common vacuum leaks, are the intake gaskets common to fail or any 02 sensors I should suspect?

-Thanks in adavnce
Hello,

-Thanks in adavnce
kannon

Postby dosne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:24 am

Yes if the Mass Air Flow sensor is extremely dirty or has a fault, it can cause all sorts of problems like you are describing.

I would get some MAF cleaner by CRC and clean it first, remember let it dry out completely before reinstalling, and if that don't work replace the MAF unit, and get the code reset.
dosne

Postby darrik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 am

They are not related and the code indicates a dirty or bad MAF Sensor most of the time. The sensor is located between the air cleaner housing and the intake into the engine and has a wired connection. You can open the large intake hose to access the MAF which is a thin but strong strip of metal or wire running across the air intake path. Spray it with brake or carb cleaner and let it air dry do not touch it with your hands, Reset the code by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes and see if it goes away.
darrik

Postby carne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:28 am

They are not related and the code indicates a dirty or bad MAF Sensor most of the time. The sensor is located between the air cleaner housing and the intake into the engine and has a wired connection. You can open the large intake hose to access the MAF which is a thin but strong strip of metal or wire running across the air intake path. Spray it with brake or carb cleaner and let it air dry do not touch it with your hands, Reset the code by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes and see if it goes away.
ITS AMAZINGGood Luck, cheers http://ecdeal.info/26398/brake-cleaner
carne

Return to Mazda