I have a 2001 lexus IS300 and i accidently put reg. unleaded and not premium. will this damage my car?

Lexus model vehicle information

I have a 2001 lexus IS300 and i accidently put reg. unleaded and not premium. will this damage my car?

Postby ellis95 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:53 am

As long as it wasn't Diesel, you're fine.
ellis95

Postby evann » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:59 am

No, it will not damage your car. The premium gas higher octane rating burns a bit better than regular gas, causing less plug fouling, less gunking of the fuel lines and a little more horsepower because of the cleaner burn.
A lot of people step down in octane rating to save money at the pumps, most cars don't need premium unless its turbocharged and people would go to mid-grade with no problems.
evann

Postby macmurra » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:02 am

No, it will not damage your car. The premium gas higher octane rating burns a bit better than regular gas, causing less plug fouling, less gunking of the fuel lines and a little more horsepower because of the cleaner burn.
A lot of people step down in octane rating to save money at the pumps, most cars don't need premium unless its turbocharged and people would go to mid-grade with no problems.
i did research, and it's about the same quality if you put reg or premium. premium only gets you about extra 2-3 miles per gallon. on the long run premium is a little better, but if you can't keep up with gas prices, i would recommend going down to mid. don't worry, your car is well maintained if you take care of it properly.
macmurra

Return to Lexus