What would cause my car to overheat and water to boil out of overflow in cadillac deville?

Cadillac motor vehicle information

What would cause my car to overheat and water to boil out of overflow in cadillac deville?

Postby ramzey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 pm

thermostat is good.
water pump isn't leaking
oil is regular not milky

can it be because i'm running on straight water not 50/50 mix?
a sensor?
clogged catalyic converter?
ramzey

Postby fridgeir » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:03 pm

You Don't Mention Year Or Engine But I Will Take A Guess That It Is The Norstar Engine And They Are Famous For Head-gasket Problems. Have A Qualified Mechanic Look At It And Do A Combustion Gas Test On The Cooling System, Hope This Helps
fridgeir

Postby fabio » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Running straight water not only will rust your system it will also boil at a lower temperature, lower than what you engine operates at.

Always use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water.
fabio

Postby hadden82 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 pm

a Catalytic converter is a frickin muffler. That is all.
You are running on straight water is one reason.
You may have a lower mount thermostat. If the housing is not on the top of the motor, then it is not a top mounted thermostat.

So method of refilling the system with coolant is different than a top mounted system.

For all others. First you got to wait till the rad is cool because hot water(or coolant) burns.
Then remove bottom rad hose and drain out the coolant into a couple of buckets. Then reconnect the bottom rad hose to the rad.

Now remove the top rad hose off the rad and pour coolant down the hose into the engine and fill it right up to the top of the hose. Now reconnect the hose to the radiator(you have now added coolant to the engine part of the cooling system.)
Now open the upper tank(which may be near the drivers side near the master brake cylinder) Open and pour in coolant and wait till all the bubbles come out and refill till full. >You have now filled the radiator side. Pour the rest of the coolant into the overflow tank so it is at the cool line.
Run the car to the store or elsewhere, then park it and let it cool and then check the overflow tank. Fill it to the cool line. You should be good. Using antifreeze continually as part of coolant mixture will lubricate the waterpump (so it will not leak at the seal) Water has no lubricating qualities.
hadden82

Postby leonore71 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:41 pm

I swear I answer this 5 times a day. I'm on my way to master contributor just off this question alone!

This is the situation:
The automobile is full of coolant and the reservoir if full. After running the car for a few minutes it overheats then cools once shut down only to do it again and again. Boiling over the reservoir if opened. The coolant is replaced and it happens again. I'm frustrated! Don't worry this is a very common problem with an easy fix.

This is the problem:
The engine coolant was at sometime in the past low enough to let an air pocket in behind the thermostat. Usually engine work was done that allowed the coolant level to drop and this problem resulted. All thermostats have a tiny hole or notch cut in them to avoid this but because of degrading gaskets, loose silicone blue goo, and contaminates these vents become blocked. This traps the air pocket behind the thermostat. Your car now needs “burped”. I'm not trying to be funny, that's the technical term for it.

This is what is happening:
The air bubble behind the thermostat keeps hot coolant from coming in contact with the thermostat. Without coolant touching the thermostat it will not open. If it did the system would burp itself and the problem would end. So, the thermostat stays closed and the coolant boils over entering the radiator backwards, cools and the cycle starts again. If you were to open the radiator cap it would shoot coolant out like a shotgun then sit and percolate like a coffee pot.

How to fix it:
You can burp your car by finding the highest point in the coolant system behind the thermostat. On American V8 cars this is almost always the heater hose. As for imports you'll have to use your best judgment but it will probably be the heater hose or carburetor heater. Some fuel injected cars use manifold heat too. Anyway, find the highest point and vent it by removing one end, the highest one. Now, if done correctly the coolant system will now accept more coolant, usually at least another gallon. That is how you'll know if it was the problem, by all the extra coolant you can now feed the system. Keep adding until if flows out your vent. Replace the vent and top off the coolant again. Your problem should be gone.
leonore71

Return to Cadillac