Is the radiator fan in my 2000 Cadillac Deville bad?

Cadillac motor vehicle information

Postby godwine60 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 am

After driving for a while if I stop at a light my cars starts to overheat. When I start back moving the temp guage goes back down. I think its my fan, but i want to make sure. What else do i need to check? and how?
godwine60

Postby coulter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:07 am

If your car has an electric fan that may be it. It sounds like it most likely is your fan since it's fine once you get air moving into it. Get your car really hot where it looks like it's going to over heat, pop your hood and take a look. If the fan is spinning then something else is wrong, but if it isn't you should get a new fan.
coulter

Postby micheil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 am

If your car has an electric fan that may be it. It sounds like it most likely is your fan since it's fine once you get air moving into it. Get your car really hot where it looks like it's going to over heat, pop your hood and take a look. If the fan is spinning then something else is wrong, but if it isn't you should get a new fan.
there is a sensor that tells the fan when to cycle on and off, it goes bad occasionally, the fan is designed for years of wear and tear, it is more likely the switch is bad, than the fan, you need to get a mechanic who can test and repair the system, so take it to your mechanic, and make sure he knows what to look for and can test the fan and replace what is necessary to fix your cars cooling system. Please do this sooner, not later. good luck.
micheil

Postby maska26 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:22 am

The fan can be tested by putting voltage directly to it. Comes on? good then it's the thermo switch that needs to be replaced. doesn't come on? Then it is the fan itself.
maska26

Postby dantel68 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:29 am

The next time your driving your car home, park it and sit there till you see it start to warm up. Open your hood and let it go until the car starts to get hot. You cooling fan should kick in. If it doesn't, shut the engine off before it over heats. There should be a wire coming off the fan motor. Most have two wires connected to a plug. Separate the plug and look inside the half that is connected to the motor. You need to somehow hook the leads in the plug up to your battery without letting the test leads touching. One side will go to your + side of your battery, the other to the - side. At this point it doesn't matter which side. You only need to see if the motor turns when it's getting 12 volts to it. If it doesn't then the motor is bad and you need to get a new fan motor and put it in.
Just remember, if you try this test, DO NOT CROSS THE LEADS!!!, and only apply power to the fan motor for a few seconds. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then pull the motor out and have someone look at it, or take your car to a mechanic.
I've done this test countless times, and yes, I have crossed the leads.
It might also be best to remove your battery cables to do this test or better yet, use a separate 12v source.
dantel68

Return to Cadillac