2004 Cadillac CTS stalls after filling up with gas - Dealer can't figure out the issue - any advice?

Cadillac motor vehicle information

2004 Cadillac CTS stalls after filling up with gas - Dealer can't figure out the issue - any advice?

Postby ager » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Hey folks,

Starting about 3 months ago my '04 CTS 3.6 (@ 108k miles) started running a little rough. Several days later I filled up the tank, and it wouldn't start until I pumped the gas pedal a few times and held the RPMs to about 2k - but as soon as I released the pedal she dies. This happens several consecutive times - then on about the 3rd-4th attempt she starts.

After starting - she will idle rough for about 50 miles, then smooth out and starts every time with no issues.

As soon as I fill up again - same issues: Won't start, runs rough, smooths out after 50 miles or so.

Have had it to the dealer now 6 times - they have replaced gas cap, some return relay and canister in/near the gas tank (required dropping the rear end), all plugs, 2 coils, had throttle body and injectors cleaned.

Any ideas? Thanks folks!

-Frank
ager

Postby engel81 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:34 pm

My first thought was a overfill problem fouling the Charcoal canister but it sounds like they replaced the Canister. But I stll think you have an overfill problem so I would have the Vent/fill lines from the tank checked and replaced. Pumping the gas on an 04 CTS should make no difference as it is Fuel Injected and the most you are doing is possibly putting it into a CLEAR FLOOD mode by holding the throttle to the floor when starting. If so then it is a fuel delivery problem and could the Fuel Pressure Return valve (Bleads off extra fuel pressure to keep the delivery rate the same) be fouled closed so when you turn off the car the fuel pressure stays to high and floods the cylinder. However your shut down without the throttle being held open sounds like the opposite...
Have them CHECK the MAF, MAP, TPS (all Sensors) and report back... Don't let them charge you for their GUESSES and throwing parts at the car. They need to have a TECHNICIAN DIAGNOSE the problem before they put on ANY more parts.

Make sure they contact the District Rep for the Vehicle 6 times trying to get a car repaired for the same problem is WAY to many. You might even qualify for Lemon Law buy back
engel81

Return to Cadillac