How do I reset the Airbag light in my 1997 BMW 328i?

BMW - Bavarian Motor Works model vehicle information

Postby rowe24 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 am

This light just came on after my last oil change, when I reset the oil change indicator. Is there a way to reset this light?
rowe24

Postby gregory » Thu May 26, 2011 1:06 am

I find the solution from Bidanswer, hope to help you! And you can go to Bidanswer to see more!

Adjustable wrench

1.Open the hood of the car and locate the battery.

2.Loosen the bolt holding the negative (black) battery cable to the battery terminal. Remove the negative battery cable and wait for 90 seconds.

3.Reattach the negative battery cable. Tighten the bolt. Close the hood and start the car. After six seconds the SRS light should go off. If it does not go off, or if it flashes, this indicates an error in the SRS that needs to be repaired. Take your Vibe to a mechanic with a computer that can read the DTC and determine the specific error so your SRS can be repaired.
gregory

Postby doune90 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 am

The battery is inside the trunk, but disconnecting it will not erase the airbag light.
Rather you should have the car diagnosed properly with a GT1 scanner to find what the fault is about. Mostly it is due to coffee or softdrink spilled into the belt tensioner. Sometimes it is due to the passenger seat mat sensor, or a problem with the steering wheel's "slip ring".
A visit to an independent BMW shop or dealership is needed if you value your life or your passenger's.
doune90

Return to BMW